Monday, December 13, 2010

Wow....really?

Regarding my job, I had someone ask me the other day, if I have children of my own.  I guardedly answered "yes, two", because I couldn't quite read where this was going.  I tend to answer some general personal questions in my job because it is a very personal thing we do, going into people's homes and invading their lives.  So if it makes them more comfortable with me, I answer some simple, general questions. What typically follows that question is, "how old are they?", "boys or girls?" or something along those lines.  What I got was the following, with venom and what seemed like hatred, "How can you stand to do this all day?".

Now, granted, working with two year olds is not always the most relaxing job, especially when I am trying to force them to talk. Some kids respond very well to me, some don't, some try very hard and have a tough time. I'm on their turf, and they typically rule the roost.  They eventually learn that I am in charge and go along for the ride, but some kids never relent and I have to figure out how to work it out.  I play with potato heads and bubbles, what's so awful about that?

This person's child is a doll.  This child does basically anything I ask, and does so happily, so when this question was asked, I think my jaw may have dropped.  I answered with as much energy as I could, "I love my job, what's better than this job?", but her question deflated me, and as I walked away from the home, and got into my car, all I could think about was, does this person hate her life? I felt bad for her, I've had people ask me that question with incredulity, with admiration or just amazement, it's not their cup of tea, but they can appreciate that I like my job.  But this person, the venom with which she asked the question, what must her everyday life be like, for her to ask this in such a way.

So yet again,  I am reminded of how lucky I am.  I have a great job, a nice house, and a nice family.  I can definitely stand to do all of it, all day, every day.

Come on!  Potato head all day? What could possibly be bad about that?

1 comment:

Kate D. said...

DITTO! DITTO! DITTO!