Tuesday, November 29, 2011
Life Lessons and Ramblings
When I had my first son my mother in law told me to be ready because it's always going to be time for a birthday or for Christmas. That time just zooms by and before you know it, it's his birthday, and then it's Christmas , and so on. She was right. It's almost December. November seems to be crawling by this year. Which is working in my favor, because technically I am not late in putting my Christmas decorations up yet. The boys are getting big, and want big things. While my husband and I, we seem to look for less and less. I can always find stuff to put on my wish list, but we tend to just get things when we want them or need them. So I'm a bit of a hypocrite when I make my kids wait for special days to get new things, or go see a movie. I am trying to get them to understand what things cost and how a night at the movies can be almost half of our weekly grocery budget. A night at a restaurant, is the rest of said budget. Buying a blu ray every time a new one is released is gas money for the cars. It's a concept that my older son is grasping. My younger son is beginning to get it. We've started allowances. They get paid for doing their chores and have to put some into savings, but the rest they can spend. I'm wondering if they will buy each other gifts this year, or if it will be everyman for himself as far as cold hard cash goes. I am a terrible spender. I like things. I grew up having things handed to me whenever I wanted them. No was not in my parents vocabulary. Which wasn't a good thing. It led to bankruptcy for my father and hard lessons later for me. I have learned and manage myself much better now but it's a constant struggle with myself. It really seems that yesterday we were in college and planning to get married. Now, a home, a boy in the navy and two preteens. Time flies. Here's hoping to more cohesive thoughts soon. And here's to a lovely holiday season.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment